Canoga Park Real Estate – Canoga Park City and Community overview
David Salmanson is considered to be Canoga Park best realtor because of his real estate experience and great success with customers. If you are interested in selling or buying homes in Canoga Park, please contact him at 818-421-2170
Canoga Park is a neighborhood in the San Fernando Valley region of Los Angeles, California, United States, and is bordered by Woodland Hills on the south, West Hills on the west, Chatsworth on the north, and Winnetka on the east.
Canoga Park American History
Owensmouth (now Canoga Park). The Suburban Home Company laid out plans for roads and the towns of Van Nuys, Reseda (Marian) and Canoga Park (Owensmouth). The rural areas were annexed into the city of Los Angeles in 1915.
The entire south San Fernando valley, from Roscoe Blvd south to the hills, with certain exceptions, were to be subdivided in anticipation of the Los Angeles aqueduct’s completion in 1913. The purchasers of the land included Harry Chandler and Harrison Gray Otis of the Los Angeles Times, Moses Sherman (a Los Angeles Pacific Railroad streetcar line builder), and Hobart Johnstone Whitley, an all purpose real estate developer who, from a start in the Land Rush of 1889 in Oklahoma to platting out 140 towns, including Hollywood.
1920 Sherman Way in downtown Owensmouth, with Los Angeles Pacific Railroad lines
The area was originally named Owensmouth by Los Angeles Suburban Home Company by general manager Hobart Johnstone Whitley as a sales tactic in that the town would be the new mouth of the Owens River, after the Los Angeles Aqueduct would be completed the next year. The town was founded on March 30, 1912, and the Suburban Home Company contracted with the Janss Investment Company, to sell properties. A pre-development scheme brought Pacific Electric streetcars and an all purpose highway (Sherman Way) out all the way from Hollywood through Cahuenga Pass, through the previously subdivided Van Nuys (1911). Highlighting the “opening day barbecue” was the display of the “Owensmouth Baby”, a racecar that could go up and down the paved Sherman Way at the incredible speed of 35 mph.
Owensmouth, as the junior San Fernando Valley city to Van Nuys, promoted itself with the “baby” motif—using storks in their advertisement. The “baby city” of the Valley remained a very small community.
The lack of an independent water supply made annexation to the City of Los Angeles inevitable, and on February 26, 1917, it joined with its larger neighbor. The name was changed to Canoga Park in 1931. Eventually, the area’s zoning was rural/agricultural and its industry was small farms involved in the production of fruits, vegetables, and melons, some livestock, horses, a movie/television studio, and a stunt location.
The Canoga Park Airstrip occupied the area now known as “Warner Center” (as shown on the street map 1955 Thomas Guide).
Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne Division
In 1955, Rocketdyne, then a division of North American Aviation, moved into the area. It became a major employer along with the Atomics International and Santa Susana Field Laboratory (SSFL) divisions. Other aerospace companies followed: including Atomics International, Thompson Ramo Wooldridge-TRW, Hughes Aircraft, Rockwell International, Boeing, and Teledyne. Small machine shops and other ancillary businesses also sprang up to service the aerospace industry. Currently the facility is operated by Aerojet Rocketdyne, and is the only remaining aerospace industry. The Santa Susana Field Lab property has been closed and will be undergoing an extensive environmental cleanup, and become an open-space park.
Canoga Park is bordered by Woodland Hills on the south, West Hills on the west, Chatsworth on the north, and Winnetka on the east.
Bell and Dayton Creeks flowing from the Simi Hills, and Arroyo Calabasas (Calabasas Creek) from the Santa Monica Mountains are several of the headwaters of the Los Angeles River that originate in the western San Fernando Valley that flow through Canoga Park. The Los Angeles River itself begins at the confluence of Calabasas Creek and Bell Creek behind Canoga Park High School. These and other small creeks supply stormwater and suburban runoff water to the Los Angeles River, and several are considered year round creeks. Although the creeks are now channeled and run within concrete walls, they do form a significant urban wildlife landscape and contribute to the population of indigenous wildlife left within the San Fernando Valley.
This area experiences hot and very dry summers. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Canoga Park has a hot-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated “Csa” on climate maps.
The 2000 U.S. census counted 53,227 residents in the 4.35-square-mile Canoga Park neighborhood—or 12,240 people per square mile, about an average population density for the city. In 2008, the city estimated that the population had increased to 60,578. In 2000, the median age for residents was 30, also about average for city and county neighborhoods.
The neighborhood was considered “highly diverse” ethnically within Los Angeles. The breakdown was Latinos, 50.9%; whites, 30.7%; Asians, 11.1%; blacks, 4.3%; and others, 3.1%. Mexico (45.8%) and El Salvador (11.6%) were the most common places of birth for the 42.8% of the residents who were born abroad—which was about an average percentage for Los Angeles as a whole.
The median yearly household income in 2008 dollars was $51,601, considered average for the city. Renters occupied 63.6% of the housing stock, and house- or apartment-owners held 36.4%. The average household size of three people was average for Los Angeles. The 18.1% of families headed by single parents was also average for city neighborhoods.
The percentage of residents aged 19 to 34 was among the county’s highest, as was the percentage of never-married men (40.4%).
In 1987 much of the western district of Canoga Park was renamed West Hills and a portion of the eastern district was renamed Winnetka. On June 25, 2005, Canoga Park was named an All-America City.
Los Angeles Police Department Topanga Community Police Station serves residents in Canoga Park, parts of Winnetka, West Hills and Woodland Hills. The Topanga Community Police Station opened in January 2009. The police department named the station after a village in the Tongva language of the historically local Tongva-Fernandeño Native Americans tribe. The department originally planned to name it the Northwest Station, but residents preferred a name linking to the town’s history. Prior to the opening of the Topanga station, the Devonshire Community Police Station served addresses north of Roscoe Boulevard while the West Valley Police Station served addresses south of Roscoe Boulevard.
The United States Postal Service operates the Canoga Park Post Office at 8201 Canoga Avenue and the Challenger Post Office at 21801 Sherman Way. Challenger Station maintains a significant WPA mural by Western artist Maynard Dixon.
The Los Angeles Public Library operates the Canoga Park Branch Library at 20939 Sherman Way.
Eighteen percent of Canoga Park residents age 25 and older had earned a four-year degree by 2000, an average figure for the city and the county.
Schools within the Canoga Park borders are:
Los Angeles Unified School District serves the community.
- Canoga Park High School, 6850 Topanga Canyon Boulevard
- Owensmouth Continuation School, 6921 Jordan Avenue
- Christopher Columbus Middle School, 22250 Elkwood Street
- Multicultural Learning Center, charter, 7510 DeSoto Avenue
- N.E.W. Academy Canoga Park, 21425 Cohasset Street
- Hart Street Elementary School, 21040 Hart Street
- Canoga Park Preschool and Kindergarten, 7839 Topanga Canyon Boulevard
- Faith Baptist School, K-12, 7644 Farralone Avenue
- AGBU Manoogian-Demirdjian School, K-12, 6844 Oakdale Avenue
- Canoga Park Lutheran School, elementary, 7357 Jordan Avenue. Formed by the merger of Trinity Lutheran High School and Canoga Park Lutheran School
- Coutin School, Inc., (special needs learning) 7119 Owensmouth Avenue
- Our Lady of the Valley Elementary School, 22041 Gault Street
Lanark Recreation Center, formerly Orcutt Park, is an LA City park in Canoga Park (21816 Lanark Street and Topanga Canyon Boulevard, 91304). The center has a lighted baseball diamond, an unlighted baseball diamond, lighted indoor basketball courts, lighted outdoor basketball courts, a children’s play area, a lighted football field, an indoor gymnasium (without weights), picnic tables, a lighted soccer field, lighted tennis courts, lighted volleyball courts, and an auditorium. It also serves as a Los Angeles Police Department drop-in site.
Lanark Pool, an outdoor unheated seasonal pool, is on the park site.
Sorry we are experiencing system issues. Please try again.
David Salmanons – Canoga Park, CA Real Estate Agent with Rodeo Realty
Call David at 818-421-2170 with any home buying or selling questions. He specializes in the areas of Canoga Park, Calabasas 91302, Woodland Hills 91364, 91367, West Hills 91307, Agoura Hills 91301 and greater San Fernando Valley.